Cabbage Bhath/Cabbage Rice

Cabbage bhath is something my hubby introduced it to me. In our home cabbage is complete 'No, No', my mom don't use it and i never tasted it before. After marriage I learned few dishes from cabbage, like cabbage curry, cabbage pakora, cabbage bhath, cabbage kolumb etc..in Iyengar flavor. My MIL's recipes.






Ingredients
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cabbage small size, finely chopped into small pieces
2-3 teaspoon of Vangibath powder
1/2 teaspoon red chill powder
1 whole red chilli cut into half
few curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon spilt urad dal
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
few curry leaves
pinch of asafotedia (hing)
1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste
3-4 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste


How I prepare
1. In a cooking pan, add oil, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, urad dal, cut whole red
chill, curry leaves and saute until the urad dal is golden brown in color.

2. Add the chopped cabbage and saute it for few minutes.

3. Add salt and cover the lid and allow the cabbage to cook (10-12 minutes).

4. Once cooked add vangibath powder, red chilli powder and tamarind paste. Mix everything nicely and cook it for 2-3 minutes.

5. Switch off the stove and add cooked rice to above mix and Mix it thoroughly.

6. Serve it with chutney or ratia.




Note

1. While cooking rice make sure not to cook it to soft.
2. I prepare the brinjal/eggplant vangibath in the same way. If you don't like tamarind taste substitute with
few drops of lemon juice.
3. You can also add few groundnut's. It tastes good.
4. I had 1/2 capsicum, so I chopped into small pieces and added with cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment