Carrot Halwa/Gajar Ka Halwa

It's getting cold over here, winter has started and Diwali is also here. I hate winter coz of the cold  but love it as you burn more calories :) and more food intake. I constantly look forward to cook something hot, spicy and sweet treats in my kitchen. I remember during my childhood my mom used to make many sweets dishes rich in nuts (especially badam) and ghee during winter. She used to make us eat sweet treats like gajar ka halwa, badam halwa, urad dal ladoo etc for breakfast everyday in the morning saying its good for health. My mom makes gajar halwa with lots of ghee and Khoya. Khoya is not readily available in US so I totally skip it, if you can get it, add it. It gives a rich texture and taste. I use less ghee to cook healthy.


Ingredients
1. 2 cups grated carrot. ( I grate using food processor and it's super quick)
2. 2 cups milk
3. 1/2 cup condensed milk
4. Few saffron/kesar strands soaked in little water
5. 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
6. 2-3 teaspoon of nuts (Badam, cashew and raisin). I was out of raisin so I skipped it.
7. 4-5 teaspoon of ghee (increase/decrease it as per your taste)

How I Prepare
1. Add ghee in a pan. Once hot add grated carrot and sauté it for 10-15 minutes until you get nice aroma of carrots and moisture of the carrot is reduced. 
2. Heat up the milk in microwave for a minute and then add it to the above mix. Let it boil for 1-2 minutes then add condensed milk and cardamom powder. 
3. Let everything boil together for 10-15 minutes or until all milk is evaporated. Keep stirring in between. Most importantly cook it on medium flame.
4. Add kesar and nuts and mix it nicely. It's ready to Serve hot. Once cool refrigerate it. It stays good for 4-5 days.

Notes
The condensed milk is sweet enough, so I don't add any additional sugar. If you think the sweetness is less add sugar as per your taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment