Akki Shavige is a breakfast delicacy in Iyengar family. You just need few basic ingredient from your pantry and make this dish. I remember eating it in Kadambam restraunt which serve authentic Iyengar cuisine in Bangalore. How to make it? I learned it from my husband :). It's very simple and quick.
Akki shavige(Rice vermicelli) - 2 cups
1/2 Capsicum chopped into dice size
4-5 Green Chili (adjust it as per your taste)
1/2 lemon juice (adjust as per taste)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp tumeric powder
1 red chilli cut into half
1 tsp urad dal
Few curry leaves
2 tbsp spoon oil
Salt to taste.
Few string of coriander for garnish
How I Make
1. Boil 5-6 cups of water in a pot. Once the water starts to boil, add vermicelli to it and make sure it is immersed completely in water.
2. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes (check if vermicelli is cooked, it shouldn't become mushy). Using pasta strainer drain the water and run cold water on vermicelli.
3. Heat oil in a big pan. Once hot add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, green chilli,
red chilli, saute until urad dal turns golden brown.
4. Add capsicum and cook till 3/4th done, add tumeric, salt and vermicelli. Mix well and cook for 3-4 mins while stirring.
5. Add lemon juice and corainder mix it well and serve hot.